- the information that we receive from you when you interact with our Service;
- how we use and process the information that we receive;
- if and why Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties; and
- Your choices regarding the collection and processing of your Personal Information.
Information We May Collect
We collect various kinds of information that you provide to us, as well as information we obtain from your use of the Service. Some of the types of information that we collect include the following:
“Personal Information” is information associated with or used to identify or contact a specific user. Personal Information includes:
- account information (such as your username, password, and email address used to register for a OWL account);
- profile information (such as your first and last name, picture, and telephone number, as well as public information from a third-party social media account that you connect with OWL to help complete your OWL profile);
- Dependent Information, as defined below, that you, as a parent or guardian, provide to OWL in order to use the missing persons features of the OWL Service;
- contact information you may provide to OWL in order to locate other users of the OWL Service that you may know (such as your mobile device’s contact list, your email address book, as well as contact lists from other third-party social media services); and
- certain Usage Data, as defined below (such as an IP address or mobile device identifier).
Personal Information does not include either (i) aggregated information to the extent that an individual’s identity cannot reasonably be derived from it, or (ii) publicly available information that has not been combined with non-public Personal Information.
“Dependent Information” is a category of Personal Information that you, as a parent or guardian, provide that identifies a dependent. Through the course of providing its Service to you, OWL may have access to such personally identifiable Dependent Information that you provide as a parent or guardian of the dependent. OWL has access to Dependent Information only as requested by you as parent or guardian and only for the purposes of performing Services on your behalf. OWL receives Dependent Information only from you as parent or guardian and never interacts with the dependent directly .The type of Dependent Information we collect includes:
- Descriptive information, such as the dependent’s first and last name, picture, last known location, and other descriptive details.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU CONSENT TO OWL COLLECTING DEPENDENT INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE IN ORDER FOR OWL TO PROVIDE ITS SERVICE TO YOU. IF YOU PROVIDE DEPENDENT INFORMATION, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE THE PARENT OR GUARDIAN OF SUCH DEPENDENT.
“Usage Data” is information about an individual’s online activity that, by itself, does not identify the individual, such as:
- technical information from Data Collection Tools, defined below, including your mobile device or browser type, service provider, operating system, and links visited;
- information about what you’ve searched for and looked at while using the Service;
- information about how you use your device and applications in order to help our developers improve the Service; and
- Metadata, which means information related to the User Content you have made available through the Service, such as the date, time, or location that a picture or comment was posted.
Generally, we do not consider Usage Data as Personal Information because Usage Data by itself usually does not identify an individual. Personal Information and Usage Data may be linked together. Different types of Usage Data also may be linked together and, once linked, may identify an individual person. Some Usage Data may be Personal Information under applicable law.
“Location Data” is a category of Personal Information collected about the location of a mobile device or computer, including:
- the location of the mobile device or computer used to access the Service derived from GPS or WiFi use;
- the IP address of the mobile device or computer or internet service used to access the Service; and
- Other information made available by a user or others that indicates the current or prior location of the user, such as information that you or others post indicating your location, as well as geotag information or other metadata in User Content posted to OWL.
You may tell us your exact location if you choose to enable your mobile device to send us location information. We may use and store information about your location to provide features of our Service, such as marking the last known location of a dependent in order to being a missing persons search, and to improve and customize the Service, for example, with User Content that has been tagged near your location.
How We Collect Information
From You. We collect information from you when you:
- Use the Service. We collect Personal Information from you when you create an account with OWL to use the Service, post Dependent Information to OWL, contact us for help or information or otherwise voluntarily provide your Personal Information and Dependent Information.
From Your Usage Data. We also automatically collect Usage Data when you interact with the Service.
From Data Collection Tools. We, along with the service providers that help us provide the Service, may use mobile device identifiers, cookies, and other data collection tools (such as web beacons and server logs), which we collectively refer to as “Data Collection Tools,” to help us improve the Service by tracking users’ habits and customizing users’ experience with the Service. This enables us to analyze technical and navigational information about the Service and otherwise improve your experience with the Service.
These Data Collection Tools are not themselves personally identifiable, but may be linked to Personal Information that you provide to us through your interaction with the Service. For example, a cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the cookie (i.e., when it expires) and a randomly generated unique number or similar identifier.
The Service also may use Data Collection Tools to collect information from the device used to access the Service, such as operating system type, browser type, domain and other system settings, as well as the operating system used and the country and time zone in which the computer or device is located.
If you do not want cookies or Data Collection Tools from OWL or other services, web browsers allow some control of most Data Collection Tools through the browser settings. For example, some web browsers (including some mobile web browsers) provide settings that allow a user to reject cookies or to alert a user when a cookie is placed on the user’s computer, tablet or mobile device. Most mobile devices also offer settings to reject mobile device identifiers. Although users are not required to accept cookies or mobile device identifiers, blocking or rejecting them may prevent access to some features available through the Service.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect for any of the following purposes:
- to provide the Service to you;
- to operate, improve and personalize the products and services we offer, and to give each user a more consistent and personalized experience when interacting with us;
- for customer service, security, to detect fraud or illegal activities, or for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Service;
- to communicate with users, such as when we send you Service-related emails for account verification, changes to features of the Service, or technical and security notices;
- to better understand how users access and use the Service, for the purposes of trying to improve the Service and to respond to user preferences, including language and location customization, personalized help and instructions, or other responses to users’ usage of the Service;
- to help us develop our new products and services and improve our existing products and services; and
- To enforce our Terms and Conditions or other applicable policies.
Please note that, in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the Service, information collected through the Service may be used in an aggregated or individualized manner.
How Your Information is Shared
OWL does not sell, rent, share, or disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your prior consent, except in the limited circumstances described in this section. Specifically, we may share and disclose information as described at the time information is collected or as follows:
To perform services. We may disclose Personal Information to third parties in order to perform services requested or functions initiated by users. In addition, we may disclose Personal Information in order to identify a user in connection with communications sent through the Service. We also may offer users the opportunity to share information with friends and other users through the Service.
With third party service providers performing services on our behalf. We share information, including Personal Information, with our service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them (such as hosting and data analyses). We may share information as needed to operate other related services.
In aggregated form. We may use and disclose de-identified aggregate information for the purposes of evaluating and improving our services and tailoring our products.OWL may choose at its sole discretion to transfer, sell, provide or share such information with third parties, including to OWL’s business partners for commercial purposes, and by providing any information to OWL you consent to such provision of de-identified aggregate information to any third party.
For legal purposes. We also may share information that we collect from users, as needed, to enforce our rights, protect our property or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. We will disclose Personal Information as we deem necessary to respond to a subpoena, regulation, binding order of a data protection agency, legal process, governmental request or other legal or regulatory process. We may also share Personal Information as required to pursue available remedies or limit damages we may sustain.
Information Storage and Security
We retain information as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations. We also retain User Content and Personal Information to comply with applicable law, prevent fraud, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigation, enforce our Terms and Conditions, and other actions permitted by law. After it is no longer necessary for us to retain information, we dispose of it according to our data retention and deletion policies.
We take reasonable precautions intended to help protect the Personal Information and User Content that we collect and store; however, no system or online transmission of data is completely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to or through the Service. Any transmission is at your own risk. Please use security measures to protect your Personal Information.
Your Rights in Updating, Reviewing or Correcting Your Personal Information and Dependent Information
It is important to us that you are able to access and review the Personal Information we have about you, including Dependent Information that you have provided, and make corrections to it or delete it, as necessary. You may update, review or correct your information at any time online by accessing your profile page. If you have any questions about how to access your Personal Information or Dependent Information, please contact us at email@example.com/.
Links to Third Party Services
Disclaimer: Not Child-Directed
The OWL Service is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. The OWL Service is directed towards adults who want to initiate a missing persons alert for a dependent. If you are under the age of majority in your place of residence, you may use the Service only with the consent of or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.
Consistent with the requirements of the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), if we learn that we have received any information directly from a child under age 13 without first receiving his or her parent’s verified consent, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child (or his or her parent or legal guardian) to inform the child that he or she cannot use the Service and subsequently we will delete that information.
If you are accessing or using the OWL Service from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, then please note that any personal information collected about our users through the Service is processed in the [United States] by us or by a party acting on our behalf. When you provide personal information to us through the Service, you consent to the processing of your data in the United States. The Service is hosted in the United States.